Sunday, January 11, 2015

Geocaching, of sorts (suomeksi ks. Geokätköilyä lastenhuoneessa)

I woke up in the middle of the night to a beeping sound. It was not very loud and at first I could not understand what it was. Then I realized it was an alarm clock, but where?

As the sound grew louder I knew it came for the children's bedroom. I went in hoping that the sound on the clock would be accompanied by a light signal or some such. It was not. With a flashlight I scanned the tabletop but the clock was not there, which meant that it was in one of the dozen toy boxes in the room.

The beeping grew louder. I could not have the lights on, because it would wake up the kids and I could not just pour all the toys out of the toy boxes because it would make too much noise. So my mission impossible was to quickly and quietly go through the boxes in the dark to find the clock.

Naturally, I did find the it and thankfully nobody woke up. So back to bed.

In the morning I declared to the kids that the alarm clock stays in the kitchen. It is far easier to find it there, should the occasion arise to do so in the middle of the night.

A few days later I set the alarm to wake me up in the morning. I left the clock in the kitchen because that way I would have to get up to turn it off. Sure enough, the alarm woke me and though I was surprisingly tired, I started my morning only to notice that the hands in the kitchen clock showed a bit after four. The other clocks in the house seemed to agree.

Stupefied, I stared at the alarm clock and realized that although I had set the alarm hand correctly, somebody else had turned the hands of the clock so that it was a few hours ahead of the real time. Argh!

I decided to rely on the cell phone instead, but where is it? After a tiresome process of retracing my steps from the day before I found the phone in my coat pocket. I needed light to program the alarm and went to do it in the bathroom. It was surprisingly difficult to get it done in the middle of the night and with a supertired brain, but I managed.

In the morning my better half asked me whom was I texting in the middle of the night. As if I had the wherewithall or inclination to communicate at such an hour!

1 comment:

  1. I remember hearing Jaana wander around the house that night. I also remember the noise that the phone made as Jaana set the alarm. To me, it sounded like texting and it seemed to take a very long time to stop. The quite of the night only amplified the sound of the buttons being pressed one by one.